Skip to main content

A Dad Review: Challenge Northumberland....Clarty Bairns

CLARTY BAIRNS

 Today the Twiglet's and I took part in a muddy obstacle course called "Clarty Bairns" which is an event run by "Challenge Northumberland".
If you aren't from the North East of the UK you may not know what "Clarty Bairns" means so, to translate, it means "Messy Kids". We refer to oodles of mud as "clart" and the kids as "the bairns"...so now you know. See, my blog is not only hilarious it is also educational!
Anyway, we took part today and we had an absolute blast!

Here are the before and after pictures:


The obstacle course was 3km long and had around 20 different obstacles throughout which included:
  • Climbing Walls
  • Climbing Nets
  • Cargo Nets
  • Tarzan Swing
  • Tunnels
And a whole array of other obstacles. As well as the obstacles about half way through there is a swamp that you have to traverse whilst you are knee deep in mud (waist deep for the kids) which, in my opinion, was the best bit! The twins were loving it that they were getting absolutely mucky and, more importantly, that it was allowed!
Here are some pictures of us in action:

The very, very best bit, however, is at the very end when you get to go down the soapy water slide...it was a hoot! We had about 5 turns and every time was fun!



The price for this was £15 for me and £7 each for the twins so it cost £29 for all 3 of us which isn't too bad! We all received a medal at the end which the twins wore with pride (and so did I). Overall I think it was good value for money and we definitely created some lasting memories that both the twins and I will remember.

The next morning I woke up and was stiff as a board and my joints were all aching. The twins woke up and Ruby said "DAD...ARE WE DOING CLARTY BAIRNS AGAIN TODAY?"....

My final thought on "Clarty Bairns" is that it was great! It was funny, mucky, scary, exciting, entertaining and great, great fun! I would definitely recommend it. 

The website for Clarty Bairns is http://www.clartybairns.co.uk/ and the website for Challenge Northumberland is http://www.challengenorthumberland.co.uk/
You can follow Challenge Northumberland on Twitter at https://twitter.com/challengeNLD

Until next time...

The Twiglet's Dad


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Video Games

Me And My Dad:   1: Video Games   Growing up my Dad and I had a great relationship. I don't have any vivid memories of him shouting at me or us fighting over trivial things (although I am sure they did happen). Looking back over my memories of growing up with my Dad I can totally see where my love for movies, video games, horror, reading, quizzing and cooking came from. For my next few posts I am going to delve in to each of these a little further...starting with Video Games!   I am now 36...my Dad is 64. Two days ago he sent me a WhatsApp message with a link to a video on YouTube for a recent video game called "Thimbleweed Park". He wrote:   "Have you seen this? It is done by some of the guys who did Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion. It look's great"   Reading that made so many good memories float back from the late 80s/early 90s when my Dad and I were obsessed with Point and Click Adventure Games on the PC. I was really lucky to have a...

"What Did You Think Of.....Captain Underpants?"

For our latest review we took the twins to see "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie". I say "we"...I let Kate take them with their Aunty Spot while I sat in Costa and read my book with a latte. Here is their review:   Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie       WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "Captain Underpants" in a nut shell:   Ruby:  It is about a man who is a teacher and a boy who finds a ring and turns him in to Captain Underpants.    Poppy:   Two little boys who love making comics and there was a nasty teacher and they turned him into Captain Underpants.    Kate/Spot:  Comic books come to life.      What was your favourite bit of "Captain Underpants?"   Ruby:  Every time the boy said "Freeze" and talked to the camera (broke the 4th wall).     Poppy: When he was changing to Captain Underpants and the...

My Top 10 Activities To Do With The Kids

One of my favourite things about being a Dad has to be the activities I get to do together with my family. Over the past 6 years I have experienced lots of different activities. Some of these were great and I do them regularly and some have been terrible that I never want to do again! This post is about the good ones so here is my "Top Ten"... 1) The Park I love a good park! In the NE of England we have an abundance of good parks which I'll regularly take the twins to. The thing I love about going to the park is that the twins get to run about in the fresh air, they socialise with other kids and its free! I also love a park that I can play in too. If it's got things to climb and giant slides I'm in there with the kids. The twins in the park 2) The Cinema I'm a huge movie fan and I genuinely believe the only way to truly experience a movie is by going to the cinema. Sure, I watch movies at home with the twins but nothing beats the big s...