Skip to main content

"Morning Dad! Can We Have Pancakes?"

Earlier this year at the back end of January 2017 I was pulling an "All Weekender" at work. This means I start work at 7am Saturday morning and I won't finish until 7am Monday morning. As always when I am on this shift I woke up at 6am to get myself ready and sorted for work and, as always, I tried to be as quiet as I could be so that I didn't wake the twins up. This is not an easy task for me as I am, according to my wife, "like a pet elephant" and apparently it is more obvious when I am trying NOT to be like a pet elephant. But, like I say, I generally try my hardest not to wake the kids, however...I failed! I pulled back the shower curtain at 6:06am to see Ruby, one of the twins, sitting on the toilet with a massive smile on her face as she shouted "MORNING DAD! CAN WE HAVE PANCAKES?"

I'd like to meet the parents who have time to do this!

I am not sure what it was about that exact moment in time but as I stood there naked as the day I was born, dripping wet, still not quite fully awake and without my hearing aid (I am partially deaf and wear a BAHA) and being greeted by a beaming 5 year old demanding pancakes I suddenly had this thought that I should be a blogger! Something about that moment made me think that people might actually be interested in reading the blogs of a 35 year old father of twins as they are pretty hilarious (most of the time) and I like to think that I am quite hilarious too! And modest! Since the day the twins were born I have talked about them on my Facebook page and over the years I have been told by various people I have bumped into that they "love reading about my girls" and that "your twins are hilarious. I love reading about them" so I figured people must enjoy reading what I have to say.

Facebook doesn't have a huge blogging community so I knew I would need to look elsewhere to get some advice and to get started. My wife's cousin, the twins Godmother, is a book blogger and she has a really heavy Twitter presence so I decided I would start Twittering. I also decided that I would approach blogging in a steady way and not just jump straight into it and I knew that Twitter would be a good place to start. I created a Twitter account with the handle "Dad of Crazy Twins" and I explored the Twittersphere following other dads who tweet and blog and within a matter of weeks I had connected with a great bunch of people living very similar lives to mine and with their own stories to share. I enjoyed, and still enjoy, reading their blogs and their tweets and finding out that EVERYBODY just wings this whole parenting gig and that everyone experiences the same joy, frustrations, hilarity, anger and pure exhaustion of parenting that I was experiencing. And that has brought me to today where I am officially starting my blog.

Ready to drop 1993's hottest new album
So, now that I am starting to get into it, I guess this would be a good place to introduce myself. My name is Graeme, I am 35 years old and married to my awesome wife, Kate. We have twin daughters called Ruby and Poppy who are currently 6 years old. The twins, or "The Twiglets" as we call them, are like chalk and cheese! Ruby is a tomboy who hates wearing dresses, hates the colour pink but loves dinosaurs, superheroes and jumping around on the furniture. Poppy is a princess who loves wearing dresses, loves anything pink and enjoys other princesses, tiny little animal toys and admiring herself in the mirror. They are, however, the best of friends and they adore each other. They are also absolutely bonkers and they make me smile, laugh, occasionally cry and they also frustrate the life out of me on a regular basis with their random foibles and the typical behaviour that you would expect from two 6 year olds. But, like the vast majority of parents, they are my life and I love everything about them (well, maybe not everything, I am certainly not a fan of their selective hearing or their ability to mess a room up within 16 seconds of being home from school).

And that brings my first blog post to an end. I think I have covered what I wanted to cover and provided a little insight in to who I am and what the purpose of this blog is. I intend on posting on a regular basis in which I will share moments of my parenting life that I think are worth sharing for one reason or another. It won't be linear and will probably be as random as "In The Night Garden" but hopefully nowhere near as trippy and I definitely won't be including a creature that looks like a stoned axolotl who likes to stack bricks or whatever the hell it is that Makka Pakka does. I will also be naming each post with a related quote - future titles will include:

"I Think I Pickled Our Baby"

"Are You Sure It Isn't A Burger?"

"We Don't Talk About Barbara" and

"Kaaaaaaaaate! I Have S**t On My Lips! It's Dripping Off My Eyelashes"

Hopefully that will intrigue you enough to come back...

Improvised Moana and Maui costumes
Oh...and in case you were wondering. They never got pancakes. Poppy woke up a few minutes later, I took them downstairs, put them on the couch with a drink and their breakfast, put the TV on and asked them to be quiet and to not disturb their mam. I left for work at 6:45am and I got a text off Kate at 7:03am saying "Thanks for trying"...

Until next time

The Twiglets Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"What Did You Think Of.....Captain Underpants?"

For our latest review we took the twins to see "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie". I say "we"...I let Kate take them with their Aunty Spot while I sat in Costa and read my book with a latte. Here is their review:   Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie       WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "Captain Underpants" in a nut shell:   Ruby:  It is about a man who is a teacher and a boy who finds a ring and turns him in to Captain Underpants.    Poppy:   Two little boys who love making comics and there was a nasty teacher and they turned him into Captain Underpants.    Kate/Spot:  Comic books come to life.      What was your favourite bit of "Captain Underpants?"   Ruby:  Every time the boy said "Freeze" and talked to the camera (broke the 4th wall).     Poppy: When he was changing to Captain Underpants and then back to the teacher loads of times.    Kate/Spot:  Two words...