Skip to main content

A Dad Review: Blackpool Zoo

BLACKPOOL ZOO
 



We have visited Blackpool several times over the past few years with the twins. We mainly visit as Kate's Aunty and her wife live there and it is nice to visit them and for them to see the twins (and us, I guess). Usually we do the "typical Blackpool stuff" like going along the prom, taking in a couple of fairground rides, a donkey ride, some ice cream etc... and we have been up Blackpool Tower. This summer when we visited we decided to visit the zoo for two reasons:
 
1) We have never been
2) The twins love a zoo
 
So that is what we did. We drove to Blackpool and met up with one of Kate's Aunties (the other was at work...we had dinner with her later on) and we hit the zoo...here is what we thought...
 
 
Blackpool Zoo is way bigger than we anticipated...there is loads to do and there are loads of animals to see. Like most zoos it is broken down in to sections:
  • Waders and Waddlers
  • Wallaby Walkabout
  • Wolf Ridge
  • Zebra and Bongo House
  • Sea Lion Pool
  • Penguin Pool
  • Gorilla Mountain
  • Ape House
  • Orangutan Outlook
  • Giraffe Heights
  • Small Primates
  • Big Cats
  • Elephant House
  • Amazonia
  • Dinosaur Safari (obviously not real dinosaurs)
 
There were displays and shows on at various times throughout the day too. Usually at other zoos I find it hard to see any of these as they are generally so busy but at this zoo we were able to take in two shows and we really enjoyed them both. We got to see all of the animals and we were able to fill the whole day. Rather than go in to a load of detail about this all I have decided to tell you my 5 favourite bits...
 
1: The Giraffes
 
I love giraffes! Giraffes are my favourite animal in the world. I think they are bizarre looking, kind of freaky but totally amazing! The Giraffe Heights area at Blackpool Zoo was awesome and the closest I have ever got to seeing a giraffe up close. Awesome!
 
2: The Sea Lions
 
We saw the sea lion show which was really good. I know a lot of people are against making animals perform but you could see that these sea lions had a great relationship with the trainers, they were healthy and well looked after and you could see that they were happy. We really enjoyed this as it was cute and good fun.
 
3: The Elephant
 
Currently there is only one elephant at Blackpool Zoo called Kate (which the twins found hilarious). Again I have never seen an elephant so close which was great to see. You don't realise how big they are until you are that close.
 
4: The Reptile House
 
I love reptile houses...but I hate them too! I wouldn't say I am scared of them but I do find the creatures within quite unnerving...especially giant snakes and crocodiles. But I am fascinated by them and seeing them when they are behind glass and can't get to me to kill me. The reptile house at Blackpool Zoo was really good. Loads of different animals and bigger than most.
 
 
5: The Bird Show
 
Another show that we were able to take in was the bird show. It was really good, really interesting and, again, you could see that the birds were well looked after. There were some great birds on display and watching them was a real treat. The twins loved it.
 
As well as those 5 things there were loads of other great bits too.
 
The facilities at the zoo are good. The car park is more than adequate and was reasonably priced (although I don't like paying for parking when I am visiting an attraction and think it should be free). The price of admission was about what you would expect for a zoo (around £18 for an adult and £14 for a child) and the facilities within the zoo (toilets, food places etc...) were also adequate. I did find one of the food shacks near the play park to be really busy and it took forever to get a cup of coffee but I didn't find the prices to be over the top for drinks but I did find the food prices quite expensive for what it was. The gift shop was well stocked with the usual things you would expect to find in a zoo gift shop and was priced as you would expect. We did find another gift shop in the Amazonia section where the twins could do a pick and mix with small animal figures and get 4 for a quid. The twins love small figures so this was a definite win.
 
All in all we had a really good day at Blackpool Zoo. With regards to prices for admission and food etc... it was what you would expect but with regards to the animals, how close you could see them and the shows it was better than other zoos we have visited. 
 
If you are visiting Blackpool for a few days and need something to break up your trip from the usual Blackpool stuff then I would definitely recommend a visit to the zoo. It was really good fun and we had a great time.
 
Check out their website here http://www.blackpoolzoo.org.uk/
 
And you can follow them on Twitter here https://twitter.com/BlackpoolZoo
 
Until next time...
 
The Twiglet's Dad  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"What Did You Think Of.....Captain Underpants?"

For our latest review we took the twins to see "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie". I say "we"...I let Kate take them with their Aunty Spot while I sat in Costa and read my book with a latte. Here is their review:   Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie       WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "Captain Underpants" in a nut shell:   Ruby:  It is about a man who is a teacher and a boy who finds a ring and turns him in to Captain Underpants.    Poppy:   Two little boys who love making comics and there was a nasty teacher and they turned him into Captain Underpants.    Kate/Spot:  Comic books come to life.      What was your favourite bit of "Captain Underpants?"   Ruby:  Every time the boy said "Freeze" and talked to the camera (broke the 4th wall).     Poppy: When he was changing to Captain Underpants and then back to the teacher loads of times.    Kate/Spot:  Two words...