Skip to main content

My Top 5 Best And Worst Kids TV Shows

When I was a kid we had 4 channels. Because of that my brother and I just had to watch what was on and didn't really have much choice. During the week there was nothing on the TV in the morning. Kids today don't know how lucky they are. They have hundreds of channels to choose from, channels that are dedicated to nothing but kids TV shows as well as streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime with kids shows on demand.

Since the twins were born in 2011 I have been introduced to many kids TV shows. Some of them are brilliant but some of them are just plain awful. For this post I have decided to list my favourites and my least favourites. Here goes...

(Note - I haven't included any shows from when I was a kid - only ones that I was introduced to with the twins.)




10: Worst - Topsy And Tim

"Topsy and Tim" is an awful TV show! Everything is so perfect! It is just a total false representation of life with kids! Especially with twins! I think when people find out they are having twins that they should be played an episode of this and told "This is a brilliant example of what NOT to expect in your life". Plus - they are supposed to be 5 years old but they look much older! A bit like that woman who played Andrea in "Beverly Hills 90210" who was meant to be 16 but was really 102!   

9: Best - Ask The Storybots

This is a little hidden gem we found on Netflix one day. It is about a group of strange creatures who live in the world beneath our TV screens. They are called "Beep", "Bing", "Bang", "Boop" and "Bo" and they go on adventures to help a human child answer a different question in every episode. These include "Why is the sky blue?" and "How does night happen?" There are only 6 episodes (so far) but they are all really well done, educational, interesting and the twins love watching it. I just hope they make some more soon.

8: Worst - In The Night Garden

Ok...I'll admit..."In The Night Garden" has some sort of hypnotic effect on kids of a certain age and there is something about it that helps to wind kids down for bedtime. It is like crack for kids. But, man, it is one annoying TV show. I am not even sure what it is about. What is the purpose of it all? It is just bizarre and, as an adult, I really do NOT enjoy it.

7: Best - Swashbuckle

"Swashbuckle" is the millennial version of "Fun House" or "Finder's Keepers". It is that one show that I imagine all kids aged between 5 and 10 just wish they could appear on. I really enjoy it. I enjoy the concept, the challenges and puzzles are fun and I like that it encourages kids to use their brains a bit too. Plus, I am a fan of some healthy competition and I think it is good for kids to see that sometimes you can't win everything.

6: Worst - Bananas In Pyjamas

This show is soooooo annoying! "Bananas In Pyjamas", in my opinion, should be destroyed and removed from all TV channels in the world. When the twins were younger their mornings were pretty much timed around the programmes on Ch5 on "Milkshake". "Bananas In Pyjamas" was the one that the twins weren't so bothered about. I think when a 2 year old knows that a show is shit then it is definitely shit! When they used to say:

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking B2?"
"I think I am B1"

I used to have refrain myself from saying "WISH YOU WERE BOTH THINKING OF SETTING YOURSELVES ON FIRE"

5: Best - Curious George

Ah "Curious George". I was aware of "Curious George" as a character in books and I knew there had been a movie but I didn't know there was a cartoon series too. We discovered it by accident on Netflix one day. The twins loved it immediately and wanted to watch more and more and, thankfully, there were 6 whole seasons to watch. This kept them entertained for months and I really enjoyed watching it with them. Sure, it was a bit OTT and sometimes you wondered why these cartoon people trusted a monkey with such important tasks, but it's a fun show.

4: Worst - Caillou

Pile of irritating shite! Not even writing anything more about this!

3: Best - Peppa Pig

Controversial...I know! Most adults hate "Peppa Pig" with an absolute passion as she is a snotty, spoilt, rude little f***er! Which she is! But I really like "Peppa Pig" for a number of reasons. First of all it was the first TV show that the twins really paid attention to and which would suck them in. I have fond memories of getting up in the morning with the twins, cuddling them in, one on either side of me, on the couch and sticking on a "Peppa Pig" DVD and having a 60 minute snooze whilst Peppa babysat the twins. Good times. But also I really like Daddy Pig and think he is an underrated gem of a character. I would love to see a spin off where he teams up with Nanny Plum from "Ben and Holly" and they solve crimes or something.

2: Worst - Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps

I absolutely despise this show. I hate it. I think Angelina is the most precocious, stuck up little twat I have ever had the displeasure of watching. My problem with this show is that she succeeds at everything!!! EVERYTHING!!! Every episode she will try to learn something new and she'll be rubbish at it and then she will be a pro by the end! What kind of expectation is that giving kids? What kind of message? Stupid shitting little mouse!!! I hate her so much that I used to post my own versions of her exploits on Facebook which always resulted in her death! Hate her! Hate this show!

1: Best - Shaun The Sheep

I love "Shaun the Sheep". It is such a good show. The animation is spot on, the stories are hilarious and it is just so well put together. This is another show that the twins and I will watch together and we can watch it for an hour without moving or talking to each other. The movie is even better. It was the first movie we took the twins too where they didn't go to the toilet once and they didn't ask a single question. Hands down "Shaun the Sheep" is my favourite kids TV show that I have been introduced to with the twins. Love it.

And there we go. My top 5 best and worst kids TV shows.

Think I will get the twins to discuss theirs soon.

Until next time...

The Twiglet's Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"What Did You Think Of.....Captain Underpants?"

For our latest review we took the twins to see "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie". I say "we"...I let Kate take them with their Aunty Spot while I sat in Costa and read my book with a latte. Here is their review:   Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie       WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "Captain Underpants" in a nut shell:   Ruby:  It is about a man who is a teacher and a boy who finds a ring and turns him in to Captain Underpants.    Poppy:   Two little boys who love making comics and there was a nasty teacher and they turned him into Captain Underpants.    Kate/Spot:  Comic books come to life.      What was your favourite bit of "Captain Underpants?"   Ruby:  Every time the boy said "Freeze" and talked to the camera (broke the 4th wall).     Poppy: When he was changing to Captain Underpants and then back to the teacher loads of times.    Kate/Spot:  Two words...