Skip to main content

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...
 
The Boss Baby

 
 
WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS 
 
Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:
 
Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.
 
Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.
 
Me: I could describe this in two ways:
 
1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.
 
2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a new baby boy who is the Boss Baby. The Boss Baby has been sent by BabyCorp to do some undercover recon as his new parent's work for PuppyCo and they are marketing a new puppy. Puppies have taken over babies as the "cutest" thing in the world and they want their spot back and only Boss Baby can make that happen. Then disaster strikes and Tim's parents are in trouble and Boss Baby realises that they can help each other achieve what they want to achieve. So they strike up a friendship to work together but, naturally, build a bond and realise that there is more to life than "being cute". 
 
I may have looked too deep in to it but I think the whole thing takes place in Tim's mind. There is a scene near the beginning where his parents casually drop in to conversation about a new baby coming. Then the Boss Baby arrives and all of the crazy things happen. I think it is all about Tim accepting that he is no longer going to be the baby and that a new baby is coming and that his life will change but it will be for the better.
 
I need to get out more and stop over analysing kids cartoons!     
 
What was your favourite bit of "The Boss Baby?"
 
Ruby: When they became friends and liked each other. And the big baby who likes cookies.
 
Poppy: It was all really good.
 
Me: I'll be honest - this movie was mediocre. There were some funny moments but nothing that made me belly laugh. I feel it was a bit of a wasted opportunity given the voice cast and knowing what DreamWorks have produced in the past.
 
And what bit did you least enjoy?
 
Ruby: When they fell out and stopped being friends - that was sad.
 
Poppy: Ooooh that bit when they were being chased by the man in a dress was quite scary.
 
Me: As mediocre as this movie was I didn't hate it. The animation was pretty good and there were some clever moments but all in all it was pretty standard.
 
Who was your favourite character and why?
 
Ruby: The Boss Baby - he was hilarious.
 
Poppy: I liked the other babies who were in the gang. They were funny.
 
Me: I was disappointed with the character of The Boss Baby. I like Alec Baldwin and think he is a great comedic actor but in this movie I felt he was, well, a bit of a twat and not very likeable. Maybe that was the point? I did like the other babies in the gang though as they were funny.
 
Would you watch it again?
 
Ruby: Can we watch it now?
 
Poppy: Oh yes it was brilliant.
 
Me: I have seen this twice now! The first time I saw it was with a client from work and then I took the twins to "Kids Club". Would I watch it again? Not through choice!  
 
How many stars out of 5 would you award "The Boss Baby?"
 
Ruby: All of them! All of the stars in the world!
 
Poppy: A trillion!
 
Me: I'd give it 2 stars! It wasn't great but it was better than "Norm of the North"....but so is getting kicked in the balls!
 
Number of snacks required: Just one each
 
Number of toilet breaks: One each at the same time...which is so much easier!
 
Number of questions asked during the movie: Not too many - a couple at the end when it got a bit manic.
 
Level of fidgeting: Not much for a change.
 
Recommended by Adults for Kids: You know what - kids will love this movie for years to come! It has everything kids like! Bright colours, cute characters, slapstick moments, a bit of "mild peril" and a happy ending. Would I tell parents "YOU HAVE TO SEE THE BOSS BABY?" No! If a parent asked if they think their kids will like it...Yes!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Video Games

Me And My Dad:   1: Video Games   Growing up my Dad and I had a great relationship. I don't have any vivid memories of him shouting at me or us fighting over trivial things (although I am sure they did happen). Looking back over my memories of growing up with my Dad I can totally see where my love for movies, video games, horror, reading, quizzing and cooking came from. For my next few posts I am going to delve in to each of these a little further...starting with Video Games!   I am now 36...my Dad is 64. Two days ago he sent me a WhatsApp message with a link to a video on YouTube for a recent video game called "Thimbleweed Park". He wrote:   "Have you seen this? It is done by some of the guys who did Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion. It look's great"   Reading that made so many good memories float back from the late 80s/early 90s when my Dad and I were obsessed with Point and Click Adventure Games on the PC. I was really lucky to have a...

My Top 5 Nintendo Games I Can't Wait To Play With The Twins

I am a big fan of video games. I always have been from a very young age as my Dad was a fan and we used to play them together. I have very fond memories of playing video games with my Dad (I will save details on that for another post) and I hope that the twins and I will be the same when they hit the right age. I am a bit of a Nintendo fanboy and I still have all of my Nintendo consoles from when I was younger, and a stash of games, that I can't wait to crack open with the girls one day. These are the top 5 Video Games that I can't wait to play with the twins...they are all Nintendo ones. 1: Super Mario World, SNES, 1990 This is easily one of my all time favourite games. At the time it was revolutionary due to the way it played. You could work your way through each level and each world in a very linear fashion by finding 35 "exits" or you could try and get 100% completion by finding all 96 "exits". I can proudly say that I have done this on more than o...

Christmas Bargain Hunting: Tips From A Dad

CHRISTMAS BARGAIN HUNTING: TIPS FROM A DAD       Christmas is just around the corner and will be here before you know it. My wife and I, like a lot of families, find Christmas to be a ridiculously expensive time of year. However, does Christmas need to be as expensive as it can be? I genuinely believe that you can have a great Christmas without spending thousands and thousands of pounds. In this post I am going to share with you my Christmas Bargain Hunting tips which I believe will help to make Christmas a little easier on your wallet. Here goes...   1) Start Early: This one is an obvious one but a one that not many people do. I always start getting presents in for the twins around August. The reason for this is that many shops are starting to get prepared for Christmas so they are clearing room on their shelves. This is a great time to pick up some bargains from some of the bigger supermarket chains and retail outlets. Here are some...