Skip to main content

"Are You Sure It Isn't Just A Burger?"

The day we had our first scan and found out we were having twins was surreal. Up until that point Kate had only ever mentioned it once in an "imagine if we had twins" kind of way but we never expected that it would actually happen.

Once we found out we knew that we would have to tell everyone but the first people we needed to tell were our parents. We told all four of them individually for various reasons and this is what happened with each.

The Scan Photos


My Mam

My Mam was the first person we told. The reason for that being that Kate's Mam works not far from the hospital so we decided we would go and tell her in person. I called my Mam at work and we had a conversation like this:

Me: "Hi Mam, it's me, you OK?"

Mam: "Yes - how did the scan go?"

Me: "Yeah, it went fine, they did the scan and everything and checked all the stuff they need to check and, er, BOTH of our babies are doing fine"

Mam: "Ah that's lovely. Did you get a pict...hang on! What? BOTH BABIES? What do you mean both babies?"

Me: "Well, we're having twins"

Mam: "Are you sure?"

Me: "Yep. They showed us both of them"

Mam: "Are you sure it isn't just a burger?"

Me: "It's 10am Mam and Kate isn't growing a burger"

Mam: "Well. OK. That is lovely news. I have to go. I'll call you later"

I met my Mam later on when she finished work so we could go and visit my Grandma and tell her. She told me that she was in so much shock that she just sat in silence in her office for an hour and then just announced "I can't keep it in. I'm going to cry" and she burst out crying. But happy crying. She was over the moon just a little overwhelmed with the news. If you read my earlier posts you'll know she is a great Grandma and the twins adore her as much as she adores them.

Kate's Mam

Kate's Mam, Maureen, was the second person we told. She works for the Ambulance Service on their reception desk. We drove to see her and to show her the scan photos. We went in and straight away she said "Oooh here they are, show me the picture". At the scan we had obviously received two pictures as there were two babies. So Kate handed over the little white card with the scan pictures inside and Maureen opened it and took them out and she said:

Maureen: "Eeeh it's really clear isn't it. Look you can see the little face and the feet. And how nice that they gave you two scan photos. And from different angles too. Isn't that really nice that they did that. One from the side and one lying on it's back. Isn't that really nice. I've never known them do that before. Such a nice thi....OH MY GOD IS IT TWINS?"

The penny dropped! She realised it was twins and she was overcome with excitement. Pretty much the opposite to my Mam. My Mam was just shocked but Kate's Mam just elevated her excitement levels to a whole new level. To the point where she grabbed us both by our arms and dragged us through her entire workplace waving the scan photos in the air declaring to anybody who would listen that "We're having twins". It was genuinely hilarious and she was so excited. 

My Dad

My Dad was away with work on a training course. I texted him and told him we had had the scan and to give me a call when he was on a break. He called me when he could and I asked if he was sitting down. He said he was and I told him the news. He took it very well and was really excited about it. However, in the true style of my Dad he did exactly what I expected him to do...research! Seriously, later that night I received messages off him saying he had been reading about the science of twins and how it happens. He'd done research in to the different types of twins and he told us what we could expect during the pregnancy. He had all of the statistics and all of the facts. He is a true geek. I know where I get it from...

Kate's Dad

Kate's Dad, Terry, was also away with his work. Kate texted him and asked him to call when he could, which he did, and she told him the news. His response was denial. He didn't believe us and said that he wouldn't believe us until we could send him some proof. So I had to scan the scan photos and upload them to my laptop and then email them to him so he could see the actual scan pictures. Once I did that he did believe us and was just as excited as the other grandparents.

Four very different ways of telling our parents and four memories that we will remember forever and we will enjoy telling the twins about when they are older. Great stories.

And on that note I will sign off.

Until next time...

The Twiglet's Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"What Did You Think Of.....Captain Underpants?"

For our latest review we took the twins to see "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie". I say "we"...I let Kate take them with their Aunty Spot while I sat in Costa and read my book with a latte. Here is their review:   Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie       WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "Captain Underpants" in a nut shell:   Ruby:  It is about a man who is a teacher and a boy who finds a ring and turns him in to Captain Underpants.    Poppy:   Two little boys who love making comics and there was a nasty teacher and they turned him into Captain Underpants.    Kate/Spot:  Comic books come to life.      What was your favourite bit of "Captain Underpants?"   Ruby:  Every time the boy said "Freeze" and talked to the camera (broke the 4th wall).     Poppy: When he was changing to Captain Underpants and then back to the teacher loads of times.    Kate/Spot:  Two words...