Skip to main content

"What Can I Say? She's Just Lush"

It is almost the end of May and the twins have 9 weeks left at school until the summer holidays. 8 weeks if you take out the May half-term. I have to say, as an adult, that "Year One" has absolutely flown by and it is hard to believe that "Year Two" is just around the corner.

Starting "Year One" was a huge turning point in the life of the twins with regards to their independence, their education and their life with each other. We put the twins in to nursery when they were around 8 months old in preparation for Kate going back to work. They didn't take to it immediately but after a few "trials" they settled and they appeared to enjoy being there. They were only in for three mornings a week as Kate only went back to work for three days a week. My Dad and Kate's Mam would pick them up after lunch and keep them for the rest of the afternoon. They came on loads and they loved being there and made lots of friends and connected really well with the nursery team. Then when they were 4 they left nursery and went in to "Reception" at the local Primary School. They were a little apprehensive about it, particularly Ruby who isn't a fan of change, but after a couple of visits with their nursery teachers and with us they seemed to accept it. The "Reception" class, or "FSU" as they call it, was a big one. It was essentially three classrooms knocked in to one large classroom with 4 separate "Pow Wows" with 15-16 kids in each one. The twins were split in to separate "Pow Wows" but they were in several group lessons together and they were able to play with each other during play times. The fact that the classroom was open plan meant that they could also see each other so their was no anxiety as to where the other sister was. Then came the transition to "Year One". This was a testing time...



As mentioned earlier Ruby is not a fan of change. Poppy was pretty much fine at the thought of going in to "Year One" but Ruby...not so much! There were days where she would randomly burst in to tears at the thought of it and she would get herself so worked up that she would either practically be sick with anxiety or she would just have an epic meltdown. The "FSU" teachers were great with her, in particular her favourite one, who would regularly take her up to "Year One" and let her have a look around. They would show her where she would be learning and where she would be playing. They showed her how she would be in one classroom and Poppy in another but that the partition wall would open between them at certain times of the day. They showed her how the play area for both classrooms was joint so she'd see Poppy at break time. They explained how the classes would sometimes be mixed for certain lessons and that she would be with Poppy then. She would settle for a few days and then someone would mention the words "Year One" and she would be off again. It really was quite a troubling time as we couldn't quite get it out of her why she was so worried. Kate and I are definitely not anxious people, nor are other people in her life, so we aren't sure where she has picked this trait up from. Part of me, on reflection, wonders if it stems from nursery. At nursery every child had their own "key worker" who looked after them on their journey and who would be responsible for the more "educational" aspects of their time there. Poppy had the same from 8 months old right through to 2 years old and then from 2 years old until she left had the same one. Ruby had about 8 different "key workers" throughout her time there and I wonder if that is where it stems from. I wonder if she would just get used to someone and then they would leave or move to another room and it just knocked her? Who knows! Anyway, the summer holidays came and we had a great time with the kids and they loved being off...and then it almost became time to go back to school and Ruby started to worry again. We worked with her and reassured her that everything would be fine.

The big day came and we spent the morning being as calm as we could and trying not to freak out Ruby. We went to the school and all was OK. Ruby could see her friends were there and that things appeared to be pretty much the same as before just in a different part of the school. I could see her brain figuring stuff out such as where the doors where to go in and out and that she could see out of the windows at pick up time to see if we were there. The doors opened and we both kissed her goodbye and she took her book bag and she trooped on in through the door. I was beaming with pride that she had gone in with no bother and I would be lying if I didn't admit that I was internally crying like a baby! We picked them up later on and they had both had a great day and Ruby loved it and, 8 months later, she still loves it and she has no fears or worries about going in to "Year Two".

"Year One" has been great. Their reading, writing and maths skills have come on in leaps and bounds and they both get glowing reports at parents evening. They are both excelling and we received lovely comments:

Poppy's Teacher: "What can I say? She's Poppy. She's just lush. Smart, funny and eager to learn"

Ruby's Teacher: "I wish I had a classroom full of Ruby's" 

I worked in education for many years. I only ever remember two types of student: The ones who excelled and the ones who were a nightmare. I like to think that Ruby and Poppy will be remembered by their teachers for years to come as being good kids that they enjoyed teaching. I know the twins will remember their teachers as they have bonded well with them and they made a lasting impression. I am so proud of them both for how they are doing at school and when I hear them read or see them figuring out a sum it makes me happy.

I am also so proud of Poppy for who she has become. She is one headstrong, independent little lady and she knows what she wants and how to get it. She has her group of friends and I predict they will be friends throughout all of Primary School. She is going to go places and nothing will stop her getting there.

Likewise I am so proud of Ruby for the corner that she turned with her fears and her worries. She too is one headstrong little lady but I think she still has a lot of self discovery to achieve. I don't think she has quite found her group of friends yet but she definitely knows what kind of friends she wants and she will find them one day.

What can I say? They are both lush...a handful at times! Cheeky at times! Push my buttons at times! But they are lush!

Check back in on Saturday May 20th where the twins will be discussing school and their favourite moments of "Year One".

And on that note I will sign off

Until next time...

The Twiglet's Dad


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"What Did You Think Of.....Captain Underpants?"

For our latest review we took the twins to see "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie". I say "we"...I let Kate take them with their Aunty Spot while I sat in Costa and read my book with a latte. Here is their review:   Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie       WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "Captain Underpants" in a nut shell:   Ruby:  It is about a man who is a teacher and a boy who finds a ring and turns him in to Captain Underpants.    Poppy:   Two little boys who love making comics and there was a nasty teacher and they turned him into Captain Underpants.    Kate/Spot:  Comic books come to life.      What was your favourite bit of "Captain Underpants?"   Ruby:  Every time the boy said "Freeze" and talked to the camera (broke the 4th wall).     Poppy: When he was changing to Captain Underpants and then back to the teacher loads of times.    Kate/Spot:  Two words...