Skip to main content

5 Bizarre Movies I Can't Wait To Watch With The Twins

Following on from my post last week I decided to continue my discussion of movies I can't wait to watch with the twins. For this post, however, I decided I would pick 5 movies that are totally bizarre, obscure, strange and, well, a bit shit...but brilliant (for all the wrong reasons)!!! Here goes:

Disclaimer: I am fully, fully aware that all of these movies are terrible - please don't judge me - we all enjoy movies that we know suck balls!

The Brady Bunch Movie
 


I thought I would start out with something a bit light hearted and easy going - "The Brady Bunch Movie". This movie was one of the first TV shows to be adapted in to a big Hollywood movie with a lot of hype behind it. Like most big Hollywood movies based on TV shows it ended up being a critical flop but did modestly well at the Box Office...well enough to warrant a sequel. I, personally, enjoy this movie. I think it is quite clever how The Brady's still live, dress, talk and behave like it is the 70s but actually live in the 90s which results in culture clashes in all situations they encounter. There are some genuinely hilarious, laugh-out-loud moments that still make me laugh today. I think the twins will enjoy this one when they are a little bit older and realise that there have been decades other than the 2010s.  
 
Sharknado



I mean, come on, that title alone is just genius! And the concept is just so far fetched and so ridiculous that you have to watch it to believe it. If you haven't had your head buried in the sand over the past 5 years then I am sure you will have heard of this movie and the subsequent sequels (which have equally as awesome titles). The concept is exactly what it says - a tornado whips sharks out of the sea and throws them at the unsuspecting public who are then eaten. It is crazy! But the thing I love about this movie is that you can tell from the very start that it knows it is ridiculous and it plays on that. You don't hire Tara Reid and a dude from Beverly Hills 90210 to be your leads if you are expecting your movie to be taken seriously. If you haven't seen this then treat yourself and check it out...it is on SyFy all the time and I believe on Netflix. I think I will watch this with the twins when they are about 15 and at the age when they get that sometimes a movie isn't intentionally funny.

Birdemic: Shock and Terror



This is a masterpiece of modern cinema......NOT! This is possibly one of the worst movies that I have ever seen in my life! And I have seen a lot of shite movies! I first watched this (yes, I have seen it several times) when I was drunk as a skunk with my best mate. We had heard about it months earlier so we tracked down a copy and watched it with the intention of laughing our asses off....and it didn't disappoint! It is basically a rip-off of "The Birds" but in a modern day setting and this time the birds poop causes explosions on impact. Yep, explosive bird poop! It is so bad! The acting is terrible! The special effects are something else and the whole concept and story is just awful! But I love it! I love it for all of the wrong reasons as it makes me laugh and smile at how bad it really is. If you decide to check this out after reading this then may I strongly advise that you get blind drunk / high / both before you watch it so you can fully appreciate it. I will probably never watch this with the twins but I hope that one day they come to me and say "Dad, watched a movie last night called Birdemic. It was well shit"...

Troll 2



The first "Troll" movie was OK - it was a very middle-of-the-road mid 80s fantasy horror type movie which had a couple of decent moments and was worth a watch. Then they made the sequel. The sequel takes place in a town called "Nilbog", which is "Goblin" spelt backwards, and doesn't even contain a single Troll but instead has vegetarian goblin things that turn humans into vegetables so that they can eat them. Honestly, someone got paid to write this shite! But it is so, so, so, so bad it is good! The acting sucks big time and some of the best moments come from the acting alone never mind the awful effects, the fact that the trolls are just kids in burlap sacks with some play-doh stuck on their faces or the fact that it makes absolutely zero sense! A brilliant for all the wrong reasons movie that has to be seen to be believed...just don't put this on expecting anything good. Watch it with friends, preferably in an inebriated state of some kind, and enjoy it! I will probably watch this with the twins when they are in their 40s and I am in my 70s and it comes on some obscure TV channel and I make them watch it just for the hilarity.

The Room

I saved the best for last. You have either heard of this movie or you haven't but - trust me - it is a modern day classic that needs to be seen. I have so much love for this movie it is unreal. I was first introduced to this by my best friend Richard who told me I had to see it and that I would be blown away. The concept is relatively straightforward...a man lives in an apartment with his fiancĂ©, she is banging his best friend, he suspects something is going on, he finds out that it is, shit hits the fan blah blah blah. It is essentially a "Love Triangle" movie. But what makes this movie is how BONKERS it all is. It was written, produced, directed and stars a guy called Tommy Wiseau who is the worst writer, producer, director and actor who has ever existed. The rest of the cast are terrible, the script is so disjointed and just bizarre, the characters are all unlikeable and the sets are basic and boring. There is really nothing good about it at all and when watching it you wonder where the 6 MILLION DOLLARS it cost to make went. However, since it's release in 2003 it has become something of a modern day, cult classic that has a whole load of love. I went to a special screening of it with Richard and the audience members shouted stuff at the characters, threw spoons, played American football in the aisles and loads of other stuff and it was AMAZING! Tommy Wiseau has become an icon of bad movies and his co-star, Greg Sistero, has managed to take the whole situation of being in a bad movie into something positive. He published a book called "The Disaster Artist", which is about his experiences making the movie, a couple of years ago and it is brilliant! So brilliant that James Franco and Dave Franco are making a movie of it which will be released later this year during "Awards Season" which I am really looking forward to. Honestly, if you have never seen this movie, or even heard of it, you need to find it and watch it. It is one of the most amazing, quotable, lovable, terrible, brilliant, rubbish, awful, spectacular movies I have ever seen in my life. I will watch this with the twins when they are in their 20s and they are ready for a good slice of ironic movie love. Here are some pictures...

Greg Sestero as Mark - a lot of scenes take place with this backdrop

Lisa the finace - she is an utter bitch! You will hate her!

Lisa's Mom, Caludette, who is one of the best actresses ever!

This scene is amazing!

Tommy Wiseau as Jonny in one of the most iconic scenes ever in a movie! Look at him man! He is a beauty of a human!


And on that note I will sign off.

Until next time...

The Twiglet's Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"What Did You Think Of.....Captain Underpants?"

For our latest review we took the twins to see "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie". I say "we"...I let Kate take them with their Aunty Spot while I sat in Costa and read my book with a latte. Here is their review:   Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie       WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "Captain Underpants" in a nut shell:   Ruby:  It is about a man who is a teacher and a boy who finds a ring and turns him in to Captain Underpants.    Poppy:   Two little boys who love making comics and there was a nasty teacher and they turned him into Captain Underpants.    Kate/Spot:  Comic books come to life.      What was your favourite bit of "Captain Underpants?"   Ruby:  Every time the boy said "Freeze" and talked to the camera (broke the 4th wall).     Poppy: When he was changing to Captain Underpants and then back to the teacher loads of times.    Kate/Spot:  Two words...