Skip to main content

A Dad Review: Challenge Northumberland....Clarty Bairns

CLARTY BAIRNS

 Today the Twiglet's and I took part in a muddy obstacle course called "Clarty Bairns" which is an event run by "Challenge Northumberland".
If you aren't from the North East of the UK you may not know what "Clarty Bairns" means so, to translate, it means "Messy Kids". We refer to oodles of mud as "clart" and the kids as "the bairns"...so now you know. See, my blog is not only hilarious it is also educational!
Anyway, we took part today and we had an absolute blast!

Here are the before and after pictures:


The obstacle course was 3km long and had around 20 different obstacles throughout which included:
  • Climbing Walls
  • Climbing Nets
  • Cargo Nets
  • Tarzan Swing
  • Tunnels
And a whole array of other obstacles. As well as the obstacles about half way through there is a swamp that you have to traverse whilst you are knee deep in mud (waist deep for the kids) which, in my opinion, was the best bit! The twins were loving it that they were getting absolutely mucky and, more importantly, that it was allowed!
Here are some pictures of us in action:

The very, very best bit, however, is at the very end when you get to go down the soapy water slide...it was a hoot! We had about 5 turns and every time was fun!



The price for this was £15 for me and £7 each for the twins so it cost £29 for all 3 of us which isn't too bad! We all received a medal at the end which the twins wore with pride (and so did I). Overall I think it was good value for money and we definitely created some lasting memories that both the twins and I will remember.

The next morning I woke up and was stiff as a board and my joints were all aching. The twins woke up and Ruby said "DAD...ARE WE DOING CLARTY BAIRNS AGAIN TODAY?"....

My final thought on "Clarty Bairns" is that it was great! It was funny, mucky, scary, exciting, entertaining and great, great fun! I would definitely recommend it. 

The website for Clarty Bairns is http://www.clartybairns.co.uk/ and the website for Challenge Northumberland is http://www.challengenorthumberland.co.uk/
You can follow Challenge Northumberland on Twitter at https://twitter.com/challengeNLD

Until next time...

The Twiglet's Dad


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"Grandma...Can We Have A Sleepover?"

When you find out you are having a baby it is a surreal feeling. When you find out that you are having two at the same time it is even more surreal!! We found out, like most parents, at our 12 week scan and once we had told our family and close friends we announced it to the world via Facebook. We received mainly positive reactions from everybody as most people would write comments like: " That is amazing news " or " Congratulations. So happy for you both " or " Double the babies means double the love " And so on. But there were the odd comments we received that I chose to ignore at first but I didn't forget them and they pondered in my mind for months on end. They were the comments like: " Say goodbye to ever sleeping again " and " Prepare to never have any money for the rest of your life. Babies are expensive and two at once is even more expensive " and " My friend has twins and he had a nervous breakdown when t