Skip to main content

A Dad Review: SLABS Crisps

SLABS CRISPS

On Monday July 24th I was followed on my Twitter account by a company called "SLABS". I could see from their thumbnail that they had something to do with crisps so, naturally, I clicked on them to find out more. Instantly I was intrigued as they didn't look like bog standard crisps and they proudly declared that they are "THICK AND BIG" which, in the crisp world, is quite a bold statement to make.

If you follow my Dad Squad on Twitter you may have seen that we are collectively a big fan of crisps and quite often discuss them so I tweeted the Dad Squad and told them to check out these guys.

A bit of banter ensued where we talked about various things crisp related (although it got surreal and developed in to a TV show like "Pitch Battle" but with crisps...that's Twitter for you).

I then got a DM from "SLABS" who said they would send me some  crisps (to be fair, I asked...shy bairns and that) and I promised I would do a review in return. So here it is...

DISCLAIMER: I have not been paid by "SLABS" to do this review. I received the product for free from the company and I offered to do a review in return. "SLABS" did not request a review from me. The opinions below are honest, unbiased and all our own.
 
...A few days later a nice big box arrived at my house from SLABS. I ripped it open in excitement and inside I found 8 bags of crisps and my first thought was "Awesome"!
 
 

 
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
 
I was impressed straight away. I thought the box that they were delivered in was cool (black, covered in logos and words, picture of a dog on it...who doesn't love dogs?) and then the crisps themselves look instantly appealing. The packaging stands out and looks expensive and I loved how there is a window showing you inside the packet so you know exactly what you are getting. The claim from "SLABS" is that they are "THICK AND BIG" and "CHUNKY POTATO CRISPS" and you can see that is exactly what they are. They look exactly as they claim...THICK AND BIG! There are 4 flavours available which are:
 
  • Sea Salt
  • Salt and Malt Vinegar
  • Mature Cheddar and Onion
  • Sweet Red Chilli
 
I received two bags of each...a 40g bag and an 80g bag which I guess are "individual" and "share" sizes.
 
My first impression of "SLABS" is a great one and I couldn't wait to dive in and start sampling them...however, as I promised a review I decided I would wait and do this properly.
 
It is now Saturday 29th July...this box has sat on my table for 3 days and now it is time for the taste tests and the reviews to begin. I am not doing this alone...I have recruited my favourite person, and fellow crisp lover, to help me...my wife Kate. Together we have devised a super sophisticated reviewing system which breaks down as follows:
 
  • Initial Appeal
  • Smell
  • Flavour and Texture
  • Result
 
Here goes...starting with the classic "Sea Salt" flavour...
 
2ND DISCLAIMER: We are slightly drunk...but everyone knows crisps taste better after a few beers...
 
SEA SALT
 
 
 
Initial Appeal: This flavour was the first one that instantly appealed to me. I am a big fan of "Ready Salted" flavoured crisps...especially if I am going to be sharing them with somebody.
 
Smell: They smell good. They smell exactly like I want a good bag of salted crisps to smell. Salty!
 
Flavour and Texture: The flavour is spot on! I like my salted crisps to be, well, salty and these didn't disappoint. I love how big some of them are too...seriously, one of them took about 4 bites to finish. They are nice and crunchy and have a good after taste.
 
Result: A top notch, top quality salted crisp which I would definitely recommend to those who like a good, salty crisp. I imagine they would taste awesome eaten with a bar of chocolate for that perfect salty and sweet combo. 10/10
 
SALT AND MALT VINEGAR
 
 
 
Initial Appeal: They come in a blue bag, which is exactly how they should be, and it looks well filled.
 
Smell: They smell like a seaside fish and chip shop...good, strong vinegar smell.
 
Flavour and Texture: Nice and crunchy and the thickness is great. However, given the strong smell they weren't quite as sharp enough as we expected. Without wanting to sound like a total weirdo I like my salt and vinegar crisps to hurt a little bit. Tasty, but could be tastier.
 
Result: The bag wasn't as full as we thought but there was definitely enough. They were a nice salt and vinegar crisp but not the ultimate. 7/10
 
MATURE CHEDDAR AND ONION
 
 
 
Initial Appeal: Again, the bag looks appealing and nicely filled. I personally do not like Cheese and Onion crisps but in the name of research I will try one.
 
Smell: They actually don't smell too bad. They don't smell overbearing and would appear quite mild. I might actually like these.
 
Flavour and Texture: I personally thought the flavour was quite nice. It wasn't too strong and I enjoyed it enough that I had about 3 or 4. My wife, who does like Cheese and Onion crisps, thought they were a little too mild for her liking. But all in all a nice, crunchy crisp.
 
Result: A decent Cheese and Onion crisp that even Cheese and Onion haters, like myself, could get in to. If I was handed a packet of these I wouldn't twist my face in disgust. Kate, on the other hand, thought they could have been a little more flavoursome. All in all a decent Cheese and Onion crisp. 7/10
 
SWEET RED CHILLI 
 
 
 
Initial Appeal: The orange colour on the packet is nice and bright - probably the most interesting looking out of all 4 flavours.
 
Smell: They smelt spicy, which is a good thing, but not overly spicy. The opposite of the Salt and Vinegar in that they smell like they might not have loads of flavour.
 
Flavour and Texture: Some of these were HUGE!!! One was the same size as my mobile phone! They were very crunchy and had a good snap and, like the opposite of the Salt and Vinegar one again, the flavour was spot on. They had a nice level of spice and a good after taste. I imagine these would be nice dipped in something.
 
Result: A good chilli flavoured crisp with the right amount of flavour in them. We really enjoyed them. 8/10
 
FINAL THOUGHTS
 
I enjoyed these crisps from "SLABS". I love how thick they are and how crunchy they are which is definitely the angle that "SLABS" are marketing at and doing it well. The flavours, overall, were good...especially the Sea Salt flavour which I would rank as one of the best salted crisps I've ever had.
 
I would definitely recommend these crisps but they are definitely a more sophisticated and grown up crisp so I wouldn't just be buying them for daily use or to give to the kids. These are a weekend crisp to be shared with your other half whilst watching a movie and drinking beer!
 
I will buy these if I see them when out and about...if I had one suggestion to make it would be to introduce a meaty flavour! A big, thick crisp flavoured with Roast Beef would be awesome!
 
Check out their website for more info and to purchase:
 
 
Give them a follow on Twitter https://twitter.com/SLABSCrisps
 
Hope you enjoyed my first product review and hope you have a craving for some super thick crunchy chunky crisps right now and go and buy some.  
 
Until next time...
 
The Twiglet's Dad


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"What Did You Think Of.....Captain Underpants?"

For our latest review we took the twins to see "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie". I say "we"...I let Kate take them with their Aunty Spot while I sat in Costa and read my book with a latte. Here is their review:   Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie       WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "Captain Underpants" in a nut shell:   Ruby:  It is about a man who is a teacher and a boy who finds a ring and turns him in to Captain Underpants.    Poppy:   Two little boys who love making comics and there was a nasty teacher and they turned him into Captain Underpants.    Kate/Spot:  Comic books come to life.      What was your favourite bit of "Captain Underpants?"   Ruby:  Every time the boy said "Freeze" and talked to the camera (broke the 4th wall).     Poppy: When he was changing to Captain Underpants and then back to the teacher loads of times.    Kate/Spot:  Two words...