Skip to main content

"What Did You Think Of......Spiderman: Homecoming?"

As you have probably guessed from my blog posts I am a big movie fan and, naturally, so are the twins. I do find the cinema an expensive activity though as it can sometimes cost upward of £40 for myself, Kate and the twins to see a new release. Because of this we generally go and see movies when they come on the "Kids Club" at our local Odeon as it is only £2.50 a ticket.

Sometimes, however, I will splash out and take the kids to see a new movie in the week of release. Yesterday (07/07/17) was my birthday and I wanted to go and see "Spiderman: Homecoming". Ruby is a huge Spiderman fan too so she has been dying to see this since she saw the first trailer.

So Kate and I got the tickets, we picked up the twins from school and we went to see it yesterday afternoon. This is the first time we have watched a 12A with the twins and I was a little worried that it may be a bit too "grown up" for them but I figured this was a good movie to try for their first 12A.

Here is our review:
 
Spiderman: Homecoming

 
 
WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS 
 
Describe "Spiderman: Homecoming" in a nut shell:
 
Ruby: "Spiderman saves the day from the bad guys"
 
Poppy: "It's Spiderman just being Spiderman"
 
Me: Peter Parker is buzzing after helping The Avengers fight (in "Civil War") and wants to continue. However, Tony Stark doesn't think he is quite ready for it but Peter wants to prove him wrong. As Spiderman he takes on "Vulture" (brilliantly played by Michael Keaton) but he may have taken on a little bit more than he can handle.
 
What was your favourite bit of "Spiderman: Homecoming?"
 
Poppy: "When he gets his new suit from Iron Man"
 
Ruby: "When Spiderman beats the bad guys up"
 
Me: You know when you watch a movie that has had several trailers released prior and you can generally place a scene. Like in this movie Spiderman goes to the "Staten Island Ferry" and you know from the trailers what is going to go down. There was a scene about midway through this movie that I knew nothing about. It hadn't been shown in the trailers (bar one tiny clip that could have been placed anywhere) so it was totally fresh and really welcome. I'm going to say nothing other than it involves "The Washington Monument" and it was AWESOME!
 
And what bit did you least enjoy?
 
Ruby: "I loved all of it"
 
Poppy: "It was a bit loud sometimes"
 
Me: It was all great. There wasn't really a bad moment in it. The only bit I found a bit dull, which follows on from my above statement, was the scene on the "Staten Island Ferry" as I kinda knew how it was all going to play out based on the trailer. But it was still a great scene.
 
Who was your favourite character and why?
 
Ruby: "Spiderman because he saves the day"
 
Poppy: "Spiderman because he was awesome"
 
Me: I'd have to say Peter Parker's best friend, Ned, was my favourite character as he was a great addition to the story. I liked that Peter had a friend this time around.   
 
Would you watch it again?
 
Ruby: "Can we watch it now?"
 
Poppy: "Yes I would"
 
Me: Absolutely - it was a great movie! Marvel have done a great job with this franchise...although I have to say I never disliked the Andrew Garfield series and would have liked to have seen that finished. However, Tom Holland was much more believable as a 15 year old and I loved how it played like a teen, high school rom-com with superheroes. If John Hughes had made a superhero movie in the 80s this would have been it.  
 
How many stars out of 5 would you award "Spiderman: Homecoming?"
 
Poppy: "10 out of 6"
 
Ruby: "Infinity"
 
Me: A solid 4. I don't do half stars but if I did it would be a 4.5...wasn't quite 5 stars for me though.
 
Number of snacks required: A few but not loads 
 
Number of toilet breaks: 1 each
 
Number of questions asked during the movie: A couple - but not loads 
 
Level of fidgeting: Not as much as I expected. There is that scene that happens in every superhero movie where there is a lull before the finale and the main character has a moment of reflection / clarity / realisation and the twins did fidget during that bit. But once Spiderman was back on and kicking ass they were still again.
 
Recommended by Adults for Kids: Yes for sure - I would say this is definitely a "family movie". There was a couple of bits that some kids might find scary and a couple of swear words and obscured swear words. But in the whole I am glad we took them and I am pleased with how much they enjoyed it. We did get the trailer for "War of the Planet of the Apes" though and Ruby told me later that she "wants to see that Gorilla with guns movie".....I think not!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me And My Dad: Reading

Me and My Dad: 3: Reading My Dad is an avid reader! He always has at least one book on the go but more often than not he will have about ten! He buys books, he borrows books off friends, he borrows them from the library, he downloads them on his Kindle...he will read a book in any format. Naturally because of that, I too am an avid reader (although these days I don't read as much as I used to). I love to get myself lost in a good story and I don't particularly have a genre that I prefer. I like a good thriller, a scary horror, a mystery, an adventure, fantasy and even the occasional piece of "chick-lit" (I like Sophie Kinsella books...she is pretty funny). These are five books that I associate with my Dad, all for different reasons. 1: Well Done Noddy by Enid Blyton My brother was a big fan of the "Noddy" books so we had lots in the house growing up. As I was younger than him, they were passed down to me. My Dad would often read me &

"What Did You Think Of.....The Boss Baby"?

For our latest review The Twiglets and I have reviewed "The Boss Baby". We went to see this at the local Odeon on "Kids Club" on the first day of the Summer Holidays. We took my Dad to see it too as he secretly loves a cartoon. Here are our thoughts...   The Boss Baby     WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS     Describe "The Boss Baby" in a nut shell:   Ruby: A boy gets a baby brother who is the Boss Baby. They don't like each other. Then they do.   Poppy: The little boy doesn't like it when the Boss Baby comes to his house but then they become friends.   Me:  I could describe this in two ways:   1) On The Surface - This is essentially what the twins said. A boy gets a new little brother who is the Boss Baby and they don't get along. Then they do get along as they have to team up to save their parents from disaster.   2) Beneath The Surface - For a kids cartoon this is pretty complex. Tim's parents get a ne

"Grandma...Can We Have A Sleepover?"

When you find out you are having a baby it is a surreal feeling. When you find out that you are having two at the same time it is even more surreal!! We found out, like most parents, at our 12 week scan and once we had told our family and close friends we announced it to the world via Facebook. We received mainly positive reactions from everybody as most people would write comments like: " That is amazing news " or " Congratulations. So happy for you both " or " Double the babies means double the love " And so on. But there were the odd comments we received that I chose to ignore at first but I didn't forget them and they pondered in my mind for months on end. They were the comments like: " Say goodbye to ever sleeping again " and " Prepare to never have any money for the rest of your life. Babies are expensive and two at once is even more expensive " and " My friend has twins and he had a nervous breakdown when t